Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Little Bit of Sweet and Sour

Yesterday was a bit of a sour day. I was exhausted. As I walked in crosswalks, two drivers almost plowed me over and then rolled down their windows to shout at me. My crazy neighbor complained again about my dog, who is not barking but whimpered a bit because he got stung by a bee.I was tired and hot, and although I love warm weather, I was the only one not hanging out with a friend in the park... yeah I felt sour.

Regardless of the stress of the day job, it sometimes is hard to roll home and not have a full Rolodex of friends to call to hang out with my as I did on the East Coast. I'm lucky enough to have a handful of really wonderful friends here, but we all are busy and have hectic lives. I actually love to be alone: having time to think, rest, read, relax, bond with my dog, make jewels, walk through the city... All of the above are things I look forward to. But so often these days I come home wiped out and just want to veg. Frustration and exhaustion are not the most motivating in terms of running out to meet new people.

I knew that moving cross country to a town where I literally did not know a soul would be tough, after all I had lived in a foreign country for several years. Starting off I didn't speak the language at all, and leaving I was not only fluent but also gained some of the closest friends I never imagined I would have been lucky enough to meet. Ok, maybe the same thing will happen here eventually but in the meantime I've had a few days more or less when I've had to remind myself of the sweet in life.

Living in a town that is as beautiful as this should be enough to make me feel jolly but as one of my favorite songs says, "whether on Main Street or on Broadway, if you're alone they are both the same." The logical part of me knows how grateful I should be for all of the great things in my life: a good job, a nice place, health, the good friends I do have, art, music, good food, and my wonderful dog! I see so many people on a daily basis who are not as fortunate as I am, but to be honest, there are many times that all of the good in life seems to be a bit washed away by the fact that it ain't easy out here for a single lady trying to make it alone in a crazy world.

Maybe for my own benefit, but maybe for yours too, today I want to dedicate a moment to the little things that make life sweet. A little bit of sweetness is something that we all need, the world can be a rough and tumble, so don't forget to give yourself a little TLC, treat yourself to something special, do what you love. That in a way is why I started working on my online site--something that is purely fun, focusing on a little bit of loveliness and light.

I have to say hurray for the dogpark not only because I can see my dog in heaven playing with his friends, but I get to pet and play with dogs too! This is my new pal Buster,
his mom says his biggest problem is that he is a "ball-stealer." Nothing better than a dog to remind you of the triviality of our problems and how easy it is to find joy in the simple things.




I'm grateful for the amazing produce in California! I love fruit and it is amazing to have gorgeous fruits at my disposal everyday. Look at the size of this strawberry!




I love making jewelry because I love beautiful little things that sparkle. I'm pretty sure than anyone reading this who creates anything can't help but be excited when they find an amazing color material, a shade of paint that is just the color of your dreams, or the clay that connects to your soul. A simple thing, but when I saw these lovelies

in a local bead shop WHICH I ADORE I had to grab them. I just made a new necklace out of these, but here is a close up.Gah! So pretty! It is funny how much a wee little thing like an iridescent bead can make me smile...

Of course like most ladies, I've got a soft spot for chocolate of any kind, I can't help but stay away from a buttery crumpet when I find one.

Bland you say? Never! Buttery with an amazing texture. Ah, just perfection.

Hmmm I'm feeling better already. I hope that today no matter what you find a little sweet something, that helps you forget your sour. Don't work too hard and don't forget that at the end of the day it is really the sour that reminds us of how lucky we are to have the sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment